UT Leans In
“In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders.”
UTIG will host the 1st Annual UT Leans In seminar for female UTIG members, as well as any currently enrolled UT female student. The purpose is to apply the concepts from Sheryl Sandberg's latest hit book to your (future) professional life. We will discuss the unique challenges facing women when job searching, interviewing, negotiating salaries, and securing promotions, and we will offer solutions to improve in these areas.
Light refreshments will be served at the seminar, and door prizes given!
Suggested Reading for Seminar
Join the UT Leans In circle at: http://leanin.org/
During the the seminar, the following topics from the book(s) Lean In will be discussed:
At the seminar, UTIG will have a panel of academic and professional women who will contribute, tentatively including:
Sheryl Sandberg Quotes
- “What would you do if you weren't afraid?"
- "If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on."
- “There's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women.”
- “Women need to shift form thinking 'I'm not ready to do that' to thinking 'I want to do that--and I'll learn by doing it.'"
- “And in situations where a man and a woman each receive negative feedback, the woman's self-confidence and self-esteem drop to a much greater degree. The internalization of failure and the insecurity it breeds hurt future performance, so this pattern has serious long-term consequences.”
- "Success and likeability are positively correlated for men and negatively for women. When a man is successful, he is liked by both men and women. When a woman is successful, people of both genders like her less.”
- “She explained that many people, but especially women, feel fraudulent when they are praised for their accomplishments. Instead of feeling worthy of recognition, they feel undeserving and guilty, as if a mistake has been made. Despite being high achievers, even experts in their fields, women can't seem to shake the sense that it is only a matter of time until they are found out for who they really are--impostors with limited skills or abilities.”